Monday, June 6, 2011

Math Work Stations Chapter 3

I think after reading chapter 3 the first time, I was sold on math work stations. It seemed to be the missing link when trying to implement Daily 5 math. Since there isn't a Daily 5 math book out yet, I tried my best to model guided math and implement work stations based on the sister's information from their website. However, when I read chapter 3, I realized that I don't need to be doing Daily 5 math, I need to be doing Debbie Diller's work stations, then guided math will come easily. 


I really like how she introduces math stations. It is very similar to Daily 5. You model and teach the students what it looks like, sounds like and feels like and create anchor charts. It is important in kindergarten to have pictorial representations, especially at the beginning of the year. I like having mini-lessons to teach how to use the stations. Although I did this last year, I released them to try the stations immediately after modeling one time, so next year, I will be sure to model at least a day or two in advance of releasing them to a new station. I especially liked the "How to Solve a Problem" section so the students will know what to do when trouble arises. 


I also liked the I Can statements and think it is important to make these together with the students so that it is more relevant. This will help them if they forget what they should be doing in a center and will help them to stay on task. I like the idea of the math talk cards, but find that hard to do on a kindergarten level. Once again, there will have to be a lot of pictures to help those emergent readers. 


I'm still trying to figure out how much to put out. I will have 24 students and realize that I will need at least 10 stations, but this chapter made it seem to me that I didn't have to put out quite so much at the beginning of the year and that I can add to the stations later to give them choices. 


I think I got most excited about seeing the wonderful management board from Really Good Stuff, but then I saw the price tag :(  I will have to put it on my wish list and hope for a miracle. This was my management board this year. 
Once again, the problem that I had was trying to give the students choice in where they wanted to go. I never really implemented a work station board and boy, did I pay for it. I had students choose to go to the same stations all year long. It was hard trying to get them to go someplace else, so I think assigning them stations daily will be so much better for me and for the students. I have a ton of math games that are differentiated. I use Kathy Richardson's games and love them, but they are only for number concepts, addition and subtraction, so I will need to beef up my other games. I listed their choices on this board, but there was no accountability for who was going where and that was my problem. This was taken before school started, so there were not any game choices listed yet.


Sharing time is something I always aim to do, but usually it gets cut due to lack of time. I will try harder to implement this daily. I feel it is important for the children to share what they learned and to solve any problems that might have occurred. 

Link up with Mrs. Parker to join the discussion on Math Work Stations.
Learning With Mrs. Parker

8 comments:

Learning with Mrs. Parker said...

Thanks for joining in the discussion. Like you, trying to fit it all in at first seems harder than it should be. I also think have a management board can help to alleviate lost time during transitions. I hope you find inspiration as you read what others are doing with MWS.

Deedee Wills said...

Thank you for linking up! I think you have a great start on things. I love the idea of choice, but... for me... free choice + kindergarten = mayhem. I bet there are great K teachers who make it work though... I'm just not one of them. The management board is sooooo helpful.

Sharing time: Once I got it started, my kinders NEVER let me forget it (they whine if I have to cut it short). I keep it really brief and I just call on 3-5 kids a day... Also great for oral language development.

I ramble on!
Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

Angelia said...

Thanks for listing me on your blog list! I just found your site and I'm now following your blog.

Angelia
http://extraspecialteaching.blogspot.com

alvara2l said...

Hello, I'll be using the daily 5 math this year and loved your pictures for ideas how to implement it. Now I see you have the centers color coded... and five boxes in each color. what do each color represent? thanks

Unknown said...

The colors do not represent anything in the picture. I just chose them because they were bright and primary. However in hindsight, I could have matched the center colors with my Daily 5 board. That way the students would know that if their name and game choice was on blue board, they would pick from the blue boxes, or green board from the green boxes, etc. I put the game choices on the bulletin board and they would choose the center from that board to go to. In this picture, the game choices were not up yet.

stephanie shipp said...

I love the simple pictures. Where can I get a copy? Thanks

Unknown said...

Stephanie, I sent them to you. I hope you got them. Let me know if you did not receive them. Hope it helps.

Unknown said...

I love the pictures also. Could I get s copy? Love the ideas!

Post a Comment